Now I can't say for sure that the neighbours' cat did it, and the body was a bit too far gone to check for injuries, but there are clues:
- Next door has a cat, and I've seen it in the places the bandicoots visit at night
- The body was on top of a low wall, not on the ground
- In recent months the remains of two twenty-eight parrots have been scattered nearby
- She's 18 years old and too slow to catch one
- I've shown her bandicoots and birds before and she'd rather chat with them than chase them
- She has a cat run, so unless an animal climbs into the run she doesn't have physical access to it
The Bones bit
By the next day, it had stopped smelling and the hide beetles arrived. This means the body had been there for at least four days by the time we found it. It also means I was able to add hide beetles to my photo collection - this is the 101st beetle species I've found at my house.
The beetles are still around, slowly cleaning the fur & skin away. I'm waiting for them to finish so I can do my next Bones activity, and check the skeleton to see if there is evidence of a cat attack. Just so I know.